The Student News Site of Centaurus High School

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

Centaurus Student Wins State Wrestling Championship For the First Time Since 2008

Senior Xavier Valentin-Bradford received first place in the heavyweight class at this year’s State Championship, becoming the number one wrestler in the state.
Valentin-Bradford+reciving+his+award+at+the+state+championship.+Photo+courtesy+of+%40wearecentaurus+on+instagram.+
Valentin-Bradford reciving his award at the state championship. Photo courtesy of @wearecentaurus on instagram.

Xavier Valentin-Bradford received first place in the heavyweight class at this year’s State Championship, becoming the number one wrestler in the state. Though this is only his third year wrestling, Xavier has gained success and plans to go on wrestling in college. 

Xavier started off the season strong, not losing to anyone in Colorado until he earned third place at the Top of The Rockies tournament in late January. At State, Mason Shore also notably received third place in his weight class. Centaurus ended 12th overall. 

On Friday, January 19th, Centaurus hosted the 26th annual Top of the Rockies wrestling tournament. Zander Wold from CHS, seen in red, lost his match in the first round, while Xavier Valentin-Bradford secured first place in the heavyweight division after the set-back. (Finn Feldman)

Xavier enjoys the one-on-one aspect of wrestling and pushing himself both mentally and physically. He says, “It’s just you out there on the mat …. whatever you put in is what you’re going to get out of it”. The latter is a sentiment that seems to be shared by the entire team, especially head coach A. Mata. Xavier told me in an interview that Mata is interested in relating wrestling to the boys’ futures and other aspects of their lives. Athletics teach them how to grow and persevere through adversity. “There’s times where it’s like man, this is tough. I’m gonna have to end it here [but], with the success that I’ve had, that’s what keeps me going”. Whether in school, work, or sports we can all relate to the slow determination that it takes to reach a goal. The team worked towards their goals by practicing every day after school from 4:00 to 6:30 with tournaments on Saturdays.

Xavier describes the team as a supportive, close community. They try to take time for team bonding. “It’s also the time that we spend with each other outside of wrestling”. The wrestling team didn’t lose any seniors last year and was able to form a tight-knit group that focuses on encouragement and competition. Xavier finds value in “being competitive with yourself”. He described to me the importance of moving on from losses and trying your limits. He does this with the support of his family. He says he is supported by, “… my brother cause he’s a freshman this year, and he wrestles so, just having him around and living with him. He supports me a lot. We support each other.” 

The Centaurus’s wrestling success this year can remind us of our own potential and the support that we can give to our friends and family by offering words of encouragement and taking risks alongside them.