The Student News Site of Centaurus High School

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

Spread The Love: Centaurus High School’s Valentine’s Day Fundraisers

Shira Nathan
The flyers for the two fundraisers posted side by side.

It’s Valentine’s Day, and there are tons of different ways to celebrate! Stores are stockpiled high with heart shaped boxes of chocolates, the candy aisle full of hues of reds and pinks. Movie theaters are releasing movies on the day of for couples to go on dates, and reservations are being booked en masse at fancy restaurants. So what is Centaurus High School doing?

You might have noticed from the cheery posters plastered on school walls that Centaurus Choir is holding a Singing Valentines Program, where you can pay them to either sing a song in person or prank call someone. If you’re single this Valentine’s Day, there’s also an option to embarrass friends, so it’s not strictly for romantic partners. It’s also even an option to just have them sing to interrupt class with joyous music. To sign up, you need to select a period and classroom, and choose one of the eight songs they offer. Finally it will take you to a Revtrak page where you donate four dollars per person and fill in their full name and grade.

The advertisement for the Singing Valentines fundraiser (Courtesy of CHS choir program)

The money is  funding the CHS Choir, and according to Mr. Evan Allenson, the choir director, “Centaurus Choir is a growing program at the school for students who enjoy singing, and creating music with others! [We’re] hoping to add an additional course next year. Students are able to sing full group pieces, work on solos, and perform small group tunes such as our singing valentines… Your support of our singing valentines goes to all of these wonderful events as well as purchasing new literature, sound equipment, masterclasses from professional vocalists, and enabling us to connect more with the Centaurus and Lafayette communities!”

The flyer for the tulip sale run by the theater program (Courtesy of Centaurus Theater Company)

Another Program that is hosting a fundraising event this week is the Centaurus Theater Company. They  aren’t funded by the school and therefore run  occasional fundraisers to raise money. Their Valentine’s day fundraiser is a table where you can buy a five dollar tulip for people close to your heart this Valentine’s day. The CHS Theatre Department has a table in the cafeteria which is open during 6th period and on mornings from 8-8:30 to order roses for Valentine’s Day. The flower pickup will be in the Argo on Valentine’s Day (Wednesday, February 14th).  “We source our flowers from the local flower business Bloom and Grow Farm, who grow their flowers seasonally,” CHS Theater Company’s head treasurer Violet Lafond-Patterson says. Violet organized this event at the suggestion of a student in the program.

Because of all of this, our CHS Community is bringing people together this Valentine’s Day through songs and roses. The funds raised this week are going to support and benefit the arts at CHS, and also to the people you hold near and dear. Happy Valentine’s Day, Warriors!