The Student News Site of Centaurus High School

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

Super Bowl LVIII: The Craziest Superbowl in History?

Graphic courtesy of CBS Sports
Graphic courtesy of CBS Sports

Super Bowl LVIII was by far one of the craziest Super Bowls in history! This year’s Super Bowl took place at the Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas Nevada, with the Kansas City Chiefs beating the San Francisco 49ers 25-22 in overtime. This marks the second time where we have seen a game go into overtime in Super Bowl history!  Brock Purdy (Quarterback) was one of the game leaders for the 49ers in terms of passing yards, he made 23 out of 38 passes, gained 255 yards total, and made 1 Touchdown. As for the Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes (Quarterback) was the game leader for passing yards, making 34 out of 46 passes, gained 333 yards total, and made 2 Touchdowns according to Super Bowl 58 Stats & Score 

Winner Predictions: 

Now you might be asking, what team was favored to win the Super Bowl? The 49ers were favored by 3 points before the game started, however, many sportsbooks like BetMGM believed that the Chiefs would have a significantly higher chance of winning. Now, a lot of people say that some sportsbooks aren’t a valid resource to go to when predicting scores for a football game. In fact, these predictions vary by different sportsbooks, which means that the odds of winning by these books are not always correct according to Shehryar Sohail. So, even though the Chiefs were the defending champions and the sportsbooks were leaning more to the Chiefs winning, overall they were the slight underdogs in the beginning according to Robert Criscola.     

Game Summary: 

In the first half of the game, the 49ers dominated with a 10-0 lead. The Chiefs faced a  tough defensive lineup and struggled to find openings in the solid 49ers defense. The 49ers made a lot of smart, trick plays that caught the Chiefs off guard, leading many fans to lose hope for a comeback according to Chiefs defeat 49ers 25-22 in OT thriller in Super Bowl 2024. Here are highlights from the big game. (cbsnews.com).

Image courtesy of Mark J. Terrill

However, that didn’t stop the Chiefs, and they changed the game strategy in the 2nd half when it really mattered. Patrick Mahomes and his team waited patiently for the right opportunities, and took their chance to make a comeback. Towards the last stretch, the 49ers began playing similarly to the way the Chiefs had been playing at the start of the game, making mistakes like fumbles and missed field goals. The game turned into an intense battle as the 49ers struggled to regain control. This struggle led to Mahomes leading a successful recovery, taking notes from the 49ers’ strategies in the early half of the game. The Chiefs ended up bringing home a shocking and emotional victory in the end as reported by CBS News   

Chiefs and 49ers Rematch 

Super Bowl LIV brings us to Super Bowl LVII, where, according to Faris Tanyos, this year’s game was a rematch of the 2020 LIV Super Bowl, in which the Chiefs beat the 49ers 31-20. This was where Patrick Mahones led his first victory marking their first Super Bowl win in 50 years. This year’s Super Bowl win gave the Chiefs their 3rd Super Bowl win in five years, meaning that Patrick Mahomes is 1 of the 3 quarterbacks ever to win 3 Super Bowls before 30 years old. Mahomes and his team are very talented, and great players on the field. Similarly, Brock Purdy leads one of the most brilliant and skillful teams, with Christian McCaffrey as the running back, Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk as wide receivers, and tight end George Kittle.      

Half-Time Performance:

In terms of the Halftime show, Usher joined by Alica Keys and some others were featured during the show. Usher, 45 years old, put on one of the best shows of his career, unquestionably still making him the king of R&B. Usher’s act included a variety of 11 songs, with style, Usher started coming onto the field with a group of athletic dancers. Soon after, he and  his team performed on stage singing “Superstar”, “Love in This Club”, “My Boo”, and more! Furthermore, Usher also honored Historically Black Colleges as well as Black college culture.

Image courtesy of Kevin Mazur

Throughout the entire show, Sonic Boom of the South, Jackson State University’s marching band, all performed on the field. To conclude, Usher’s show was so popular that it  sold-out, and was extended twice, according to Cady Lang. Some of Usher’s online fans commented: “If anybody was  questioning what choreography looks like Usher killed it by: The Diary Of A Social Gal (Stephanie Dolce), “Amazing! At least Top 5!!!” by: Blaze, and “I thought it was incredible! The blend of artists brought such energy and diversity to the performance.” by: nazishrizwan                

Pre-Game:                                                                                       

Before the Super Bowl, Post Malone sang “America the Beautiful” followed by Reba McEntire sang the national anthem, and Andra Day who sang “Lift Every Voice and Sing”. They all did incredibly well and got everyone ready for the game as explained by Aliza Chasan. Additionally, there were also a ton of celebrities and actors that attended the game, with the most notable being Taylor Swift (who is currently dating Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce), Ice Spice, Paul Rudd, and LeBron James. However, all eyes were mostly on Swift, in fact, some people attended the game only to see her and Kelce according to Aliza Chasan. 

Image courtesy of Abbie Par

Advertisements and Commercials: 

The cost of Super Bowl commercials were outrageous this year!! The event marks the year’s biggest day for advertising, with the best brands paying around 7 million dollars to an  audience of more than 100 million viewers! These ads featured many celebrities and stars like Addison Rae, Jenna Ortega, and Jennifer Aniston. Now, these ads only had 30 seconds to promote their company, and additionally they were high quality which  was the main reason why they cost so much, as reported by Finn Feldman. Overall, this year’s Super Bowl ads definitely stepped up their game and really made huge influences in the community.   

graphic courtesy of Dani Zoeller

Conclusion:

In summary, there were mixed thoughts about how this year’s Super Bowl went, but overall a lot of people thought this was one of the most exciting games they saw yet. With the thrilling Halftime-show and the advertisements, watching the game was a lot more fun!! The Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers are great teams that played well this year and I am sure people cannot wait to see what happens for these teams in the future.