The Student News Site of Centaurus High School

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

4 Must-Read Classics

We live in a world where trend cycles move incredibly fast, it’s getting increasingly difficult to track what’s popular and not. This applies to trends of all sorts, and in this case, books. Whether you are new to reading, or a seasoned reader, reading classic literature is something that everyone should do. Classics are novels that have stood the test of time and continue to hold up even after many years. As someone who is completely in love with classic literature, here are my favorite recommendations that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading.

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray is a captivating novel going over the topic of consequences of greed and the decay of morals. This classic introduces the reader to Dorian Gray, a youthful and charming man whose portrait deteriorates, as he stays young and beautiful, reflecting, and showing the true nature of who he has become. This story was an amazing read and was consistently engaging, it always kept me hooked and captured an incredibly interesting story. 

1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment, follows the mind of Rodion Raskolnikov, a past student who commits an atrocious crime and is faced with severe psychological consequences. The story delves into morality, guilt, and shows the audience the complexities of what it’s like to be human. At times the novel can be hard to follow, as it was originally written in Russian,  but it is truly fascinating with an amazing plot. 

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice is a beloved classic that tells the story of the prideful, headstrong Elizabeth Bennet as she manages societal expectations in 19th century England. She then encounters the mysterious and critical Mr. Darcy. As much as it is a romantic novel, it also explores topics of class, sisterhood, and personal growth. This is one of my absolute favorites and is always the perfect comfort read. 

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is an extraordinary novel set in the roaring 20’s. The novel discusses the American dream through Jay Gatsby. It’s a tragic story of love, wealth and rude awakenings. There is a high chance you’ll end up reading this book at some point in your highschool career.  A lot of the time reading for school is a chore; however, reading Gatsby during my sophomore year was certainly the highlight of my academic career. I loved this book and thought it was spectacular. 

Classics are truly classic for a reason, and each has something unique to offer. I highly recommend reading any of these books; start the new year off strong and dive into some good books!