The Student News Site of Centaurus High School

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

The Warrior Scroll

Bruce’s Real Truths

As he heads into retirement, Bruce imparts wisdom on the student body one last time: “Get that diploma, finish high school. That’s all I ask. Be kind to yourself, be kind to others.”
Shira Nathan
Bruce sits at his table in the main hallway, waiting to greet students as they walk in for first period.

Whether you have been at Centaurus for four years or four days, chances are you know Bruce. He’s the lovable security guard who can be seen directing traffic, protecting the school, or simply just talking to students. You have probably heard that Bruce is retiring at the end of the semester. Sadly, the rumors are true. Before he leaves, reporter Finn Feldman decided to sit down with Bruce in order to ask him some of the questions that are on everybody’s minds: why is he retiring, what is he doing next, what did he do before coming to Centaurus, his favorite memories, and (very important): does he know about his Instagram account? 

This interview has been edited for clarity.

[Finn Feldman]

Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. 

[Bruce Ruybal]

Oh yeah, you’re welcome. Appreciate that invite. Thank you.

[FF]

Of course. I’m a part of the Warrior Scroll and we were just trying to talk to you before you retired. How long have you worked here?

[BR]

Six and a half years now. 

[FF]

Did you do anything before this?

[BR]

Oh yeah. I’ve done a lot before this. One of my favorite jobs was when I was 16, my very first job. I worked for King Soopers. I was there for 25 years. And I worked myself up to the manager. Then I went to work for Denver public schools as a truancy officer.

[FF]

How long did you work for that job?

[BR]

I was there for six years and then because of funding cuts and all that stuff, they cut the program. So I took a little bit of time off and I always wanted to do my own business. So in 2005, I bought a liquor store. Had my own business for nine years. I sold that in 2014 and then took some time off. Relaxed, chilled, and all that stuff. I then decided it’s time to go back to work. I went to Thornton High School. I worked for [Thorton] as a school suspension monitor over there, and then I came over here to Boulder Valley.

[FF]

That’s awesome! What do you plan on doing after you retire at the end of the semester? I mean, you’ve already had so many jobs.

[BR]

You know, first of all, I’m just going to chill for a while. Relax, take care of things. Again, I’ve been working since I was 16. I’m at retirement age right now. I’ve never had a break. I’ve been blessed by steady employment. I’m just gonna take it easy, maybe take some summertime trips. Work on my health. Figuring out why I am sick so much is my first priority. In February, I’m going to Ecuador.

[FF]

Wow, that’s amazing. 

[BR]

Yeah, my niece is getting married! I’ll be there for 11 days. After that, we’re going to the Galapagos islands. One of my first trips.

[FF]

One of your first trips in a long time or ever?

[BR]

No, I mean the start of many trips I plan on taking after I retire. 

[FF]

It’s good to just take time off.

[BR]

Usually when it’s summertime, I’m always taking a trip somewhere. I like to drive and see more of the world. 

[FF]

Is there anything else you like to do outside of school?

[BR]

You know, hanging out with my dog, fish, friends, and family. That type of thing. I made this promise to myself that once [I retire], I’m going to start going back to the gym and get in shape. I used to go to Planet Fitness by my house all the time. But truthfully, I just got lazy. 

[FF]

I mean, you also have a busy life!

[BR] That reminds me, I forgot to mention; I also work at Sprouts. I’ve worked in produce and as a cashier. That’s an easy job.

[FF]

It’s nice to have a simple job sometimes.

[BR]

Yeah, exactly. I won’t be retiring from [working at Sprouts]. I’m gonna keep that job and work probably just two days a week to keep myself busy. Part of retirement, you have to keep busy. You gotta keep that mind going. You can’t just sit there and watch TV. You know, you gotta get motivated and use your brain.

[FF]

That makes sense. I have some more questions about Centaurus. Do you have any favorite memories that you want to share or any crazy stories?

[BR]

Nothing crazy. I mean, just your typical behavior issues, you know, which is everywhere. Kids make bad choices. But as far as crazy issues, there really isn’t anything.

[FF]

Any favorite memories though?

[BR]

Yeah, I like working homecoming and prom. I really like working prom when everybody gets together and the kids are on their best behavior. Everybody’s dressed up really nice. You can see students differently on that day. 

[FF]

Having more fun?

[BR]

You see them actually dressed up, just having a good time together. I’ve watched some of the kids come in a limousine! I also like going to games. Those are some good memories there. I like to put on potlucks here at school. I like to do the staff potluck every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We also have a potluck at the end of the school year which is always fun.

[FF]

Do you have any advice for Centaurus students? 

[BR]

Not to be cliche, but I believe the old “work for that dream, live with that dream.”  Things are so much different in the world right now compared to what it was like when I went to school, even 20 years ago. I mean, I’m going to miss the kids here, I love it here, but all I ask is that everybody finishes school. If you want to go to college, go to college, but college isn’t for everybody. I understand that financially, some people just aren’t motivated to go to college, but you need to finish high school and get that diploma. Get that diploma, finish high school. That’s all I ask. Be kind to yourself, be kind to others. And, make good choices. Be a good person. You do all that in life, and no matter what, you’ll be okay. I’m a firm believer of that. If you’re a good person, make good choices, and be good to people, you’ll be good.

[FF]

That’s really good advice. Do you have anything you’ll miss most about Centaurus?

[BR]

Oh, definitely the students. I mean, my job isn’t just the security department. My job is also being with the kids, mentoring the kids. I’ve mentored quite a few students here in the past years. I have to build positive relationships with them. You know? I mean like some of these kids just need the help. I gotta get with them and give them encouragement. I’m going to miss doing that.

[FF]

I know you’ve definitely made a big impact on almost every single person in the school.

[BR]

Thank you. I mean I’ve been told that, and I’m very humbled by that. I appreciate that. I’d like to keep working with the kids, helping kids out, you know? I’m definitely going to miss the students. You are always going to have knuckleheads everywhere, although I’m also gonna miss the knuckleheads. It’s just part of school, part of growing up.

[FF]

The first time I ever walked here, my freshman year, I was so scared and nervous but then everyone was talking about you. I thought “Oh, it’s cool to know that there’s this authority figure that everyone is comfortable with and trusts.”

[BR]

Thank you, appreciate that. I’ve heard that before, from some of the Angevine students. I just like to get involved. It’s in my nature to do things. Even outside of school, I do volunteer work and stuff. I just like getting involved and helping people.

[FF]

That’s awesome! I think the question most people have is, do you know about your Instagram account?

[BR]

You know, I’ve known about it for the last three and four years but haven’t really kept up on it. I don’t do social media. It’s not that I don’t know how to. I just refuse to do it. I just think it kind of messes people up. I mean, yes, I text all that kind of stuff, but as far as Instagram [or Facebook] goes, I stay far away from it. People show me some things on [the Instagram account], which I am humbled by. It’s nice. I mean, I see some goofy things on me there, but I know it’s all fun. It’s all in good humor, that’s why I don’t get upset about it. 

[FF]

If you’re comfortable sharing, why are you retiring?

[BR]

As I mentioned earlier, I worked all my life. Started at 16 and had no breaks. I was blessed to have steady employment. But I’m 65 in September and my body says it’s time to go. Even my heart says it’s time to go. It’s gonna be bittersweet. I still think to myself and I pray to God, “Am I doing the right thing?” But I feel really good about it. It’s just time to take care of Bruce. I’ve worked all my life and time for me to spend some of that money. To go out and do things. A nice vacation or spending time with friends. It’s just the little things: road trips and hanging out with my dog, Oso. He’s my best buddy.

[FF]

Your dog is named Oso? That’s an awesome name. 

[BR]

Yeah, I’ve had him since he was a little puppy. I got him when I owned my liquor store. One of my homeless customers was a very good customer. His dog just had a couple litters and there was one left. It was a snowy March and [the customer] really wanted to give him up and I told him,  “No, no, no.” You know, it’s a puppy. 6 weeks old, it’s hard to say no. So I said, “All right, amigo, give them to me.” I’ve had [Oso] since.

[FF]

What breed is he?

[BR]

He’s a mutt, but more of a German shepherd trait.

[FF]

All right, well thank you so much for talking with me.

[BR]

Well, thank you, Finn. Appreciate that. Appreciate the honor of you asking me. Again, I’m going to miss this school. This just feels like it’s the right time for me.

To see photos from the send-off celebrations held for Bruce, head to this link!