Warriors Wear, Trend Analysis: Plaid

During spirit week and beyond, CHS students are fond of plaid!

Shira Nathan

A group of students show off their plaid PJ pants.

Warrior’s Wear is a weekly column discussing CHS fashion trends and show stoppers. We would love to feature your outfits in our weekly school-wide fashion competition, CHS Best Dressed! Whether it’s your favorite second-hand buy, something you sewed yourself, or your everyday outfits, send a picture of your style to our Instagram page (@chswarriorscroll)

Welcome to Warriors Wear! This is the first edition of a new weekly column here at the Warrior Scroll. If you love fashion, school spirit, or simply entertainment, this is the place for you! Check back weekly to see the best outfits of the week, style features, trend analysis, and more! 

Monday, January 31st kicked off another great spirit week. Stuco went with a classic for the first day: pajama day. Flannel pants and baggy tops could be seen across the school, but one thing really stood out: plaid. Now, of course, on pajama day, it’s likely to see a lot of plaid. But this is a recurring trend. Before we get into potentially why that is, let’s get something clear: “Although flannel and plaid often go together, flannel is a fabric; plaid is a pattern. Plaid can appear in any number of fabrics and colors, and flannel can come in a variety of patterns (although… plaid is by far the most common pattern on flannel)” .

Ever since the cheer team began wearing pajamas on game days, CHS has seen an uptick in plaid-clad students. But along with that, changes in BVSD dress code in recent years make pajamas entirely allowed, as only “a top, bottom, and footwear” are required. Then you add in the colder weather, stress from pandemic life, and the fact that fast-fashion companies such as SHEIN have begun selling crop top-and-pajama-sets and the trend becomes kind of a no-brainer. 

You can’t argue with a classic! Pajama day is a spirit week staple, and it seems that plaid is here to stay. 

Scroll to see the best of all the spirit week outfits! The days were: Pj day, Tacky Tourist, Drip Day, Jersey Day (Cancelled because of snow day), and Blue out for the basketball games and tailgate party hosted by STUCO.